Monday, April 5, 2010

Book Review: Silver Borne (Mercedes Thompson, #5) by Patricia Briggs

Silver Borne (Mercedes Thompson, #5) Silver Borne (Mercedes Thompson, #5) by Patricia Briggs

My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Here's what I said when I just started the book: I really need to understand how Briggs manages to make these books so wonderful. My life is better when I'm reading one of these.

Now that I've finished it, I'm not so enthralled.

It's almost as good at the previous books, lots of very interesting things happen, many are unintended consequences caused by Mercedes' adventures in the past, and there is some great character development.

I wavered between 3 and 4 stars, but the plot was a bit of a let down.

This is the fifth book that starts off with Mercedes in the cross hairs. I would love to see a plot where she is proactive.

Most urban fantasy heros have noir professions that lend themselves to being proactive. Wizard for hire, private investigator, police...

It's cool that Mercedes is a Volkswagon mechanic, but that doesn't create a reason for her to go out and seek trouble. Five books where trouble seeks her out is a little much.

I liked the set up to the climax. I liked the aftermath. But I missed the climax. Without giving anything away, I didn't really believe Mercedes' solution worked. I kept reading a few paragraphs thinking it had failed. Then "oh, that worked."

Anyway, I enjoyed reading this book, will read the next, but I hope this was a transition to a more proactive Mercedes Thompson.

View all my reviews >>

No comments:

Post a Comment