Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Book Review: Bullies Bastards, & Bitches by Jessica Page Morrell

Bullies, Bastards And Bitches: How To Write The Bad Guys Of Fiction Bullies, Bastards And Bitches: How To Write The Bad Guys Of Fiction by Jessica Morrell


My rating: 4 of 5 stars

If you have antagonist problems, this is a great book covering techniques to build compelling bad guys & gals & monsters. I took two workshops with Jessica Morrell at Willamette Writers, but not one on antagonists. But this book was there! I enjoyed her so much I picked up two of her books, and this is the on I read first, because my novel needed bad-guy help, STAT!

Well done, and covers a variety of baddies, including anti-heroes, bad-boys, bad-girls, serial killers, sociopaths, and more. There is a chapter on how to match a hero to a villain. The last chapter covers writing bad-guys for young adult or younger markets. Plenty of good advice and techniques to create a believable and frightening antagonist.

No comments:

Post a Comment