Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Game Book Review: Dungeon Master's Guide, 4th Edition

Dungeon Master's Guide: A 4th Edition Core Rulebook (D&D Core Rulebook) Dungeon Master's Guide: A 4th Edition Core Rulebook by Wizards RPG Team


My review


rating: 4 of 5 stars

Odd as it may seem, I often read game books for pleasure, even if I may never get to play the game. My wife reads cookbooks the same way. She can taste the food through the text. I can feel the adventure (or not) while reading.

I am playing in a 4E campaign, but not Dungeon Mastering. So I figured I could save the money and just buy the Player's Handbook(s). I have to say the 4E Player's Handbooks are mind numbing to read. They work great as a reference book, but they are all numbers and powers, there is no sense of adventure beyond the art.

The new Dungeon Master's Guide is quite different. I picked it up because I was interested in one rule my DM kept springing on us: the skill challenge. I wondered if I could convert that for use in my Dark Heresy game.

I was pleasantly surprised to find this a very good read, and full of very good advice for taking on the role of a Dungeon Master. In fact, most of the techniques can be used with any role playing system. I'll be raiding this book for ideas for some time to come.

And yes, there is plenty to transfer over to my Dark Heresy game, including skill challenges.



View all my reviews.

No comments:

Post a Comment